There is a fact of Truck and Trailer life and that concerns the batteries on these vehicles. For most people they can go many weeks between using their RV and by default their truck (if its a dedicated Tow Vehicle). There is nothing worse than needing your truck or trailer and coming out to a DEAD BATTERY. This is why you need what is called a smart battery trickle charger or what is also referred to as a Battery Tender.
Today we are going to look at two of the most popular trickle chargers/battery tenders on the market.
Why do you need a Smart Trickle Charger?
It really is simple, you need a trickle charger to prevent those dead batteries on your vehicles. Trickle chargers are great to use when you:
- You live or work in an environment with with cold temperatures
- Your vehicles may sit for long periods of time without being ran or used
- The vehicles you own (Trucks, Trailers, Motorcycles, Boats, etc. ) sit unused during the winter
- Peace of mind that your vehicle is ready to go whenever you need it.
How to use a Trickle Charger/Battery Tender
- make sure the batter and the charger are not touching each other, make sure they are pretty far apart (as possible)
- Hook up the alligator clips (Red to Positive, Black to Negative)
- Plug in the smart trickle charger/battery tender
- Follow the manufactures directions as they may vary from this list.
Ensure that you follow ALL safety protocols outlined in the owners manual of the battery charger you choose.
Also ensure that whatever you choose is a Smart Trickle Charger. Meaning that the trickle charger will not over charge your battery. It will simply keep your battery topped off!
What are the Best Smart Trickle Chargers/Battery Tender?
Right now there are two Smart Trickle Chargers that I would recommend.
Foval Automatic Trickle Battery Charger This one is an Amazon best seller and as of the writing of this post is selling for under $20.00!
Battery Tender Junior This is the original and where we get the name battery tender from. This one, in my personal opinion is the best one to buy. It is a little more expensive but well worth the money.
Charging your batteries with a battery tender is a great practice to put into play. They ensure that you are going to get the best performance from your batteries when you need them the most. Buy one for your RV, your Truck, your boat, you classic car, and whatever else you may need.